Subject:Northwoods MN/WI sightings over the past week, with a unique Bald Eagle photo
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:03:43 -0600

Throughout this past week (Sunday through Saturday), I showed-around a bird
photographer visiting from California, and we covered the northwoods of
northern Wisconsin and far northeastern Minnesota.  He has never
experienced the upper Midwest before. We were treated to the stunning
scenic views of rushing rivers through the northwoods of NW Wisconsin, the
rustic and awe-ing habitat of Sax-Zim Bog, great views of raptors at Hawk
Ridge, an intense of rush of raptors (as a cold front moved through) at Two
Harbors up the north shore, gulls throughout the Twin Ports, and closer to
the end of the trip, we spent a night in Grand Marais, MN – checking out
the Gunflint Trail near Canada!

Before showing the lists of birds seen per day over the past week, I wanted
to share a neat photo I took this morning at Sax-Zim Bog. The Bald Eagle
had a little scratch on it's face. It's one of my favorite shots this fall,
and can be found in the link below:

http://www.pbase.com/image/139799076

I’ve typed up a little summary of day-by-day sightings that were seen while
out in the field. Over the past week, I’ve shot nearly 3,000 photos, and it
will take me a little while to check through them. I am very excited to
share the photos with you!

*Nov 13 (Sax-Zim Bog - MN)*

Red-tailed Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

Bald Eagle

Northern Shrike

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Black-capped Chickadee

Common Raven

American Crow

Northern Shrike

Black-billed Magpie

Blue Jay

Gray Jay

Snow Bunting

White-winged Crossbill

American Goldfinch

*Nov 14 (Wisconsin Point – WI, Hawk Ridge – MN, **Canal** **Park** – MN)*

Red-tailed Hawk (including one dark morph)

Surf Scoter

Black Scoter

White-winged Scoter

Common Merganser

Bonaparte’s Gull (32!!)

Thayer’s Gull (8 Juvenile, 1 Adult) – all seen from the shore of Gull Bluff

Herring Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Glaucous Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Blue Jay

Black-capped Chickadee

Rock Pigeon

Snow Bunting

Common Redpoll

*Nov 15 (Brule River – WI, **Ashland** – WI)*

Tundra Swan

Mallard

American Black Duck

Black Scoter (4 of them, from Maslowski Beach – Ashland, WI)

White-winged Scoter (2 of them, from Maslowski Beach – Ashland, WI)

Canada Goose

Red-tailed Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk – 1 dark morph

Bald Eagle

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Hairy Woodpecker

Blue Jay

Downy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Black-capped Chickadee

Dark-eyed Junco

Red Crossbill

Common Redpoll

American Goldfinch

*Wolves were heard from the southern edge of the Brule River. We were
photographing Red Crossbills in the bog habitat and heard the wolves off in
the distance. It was amazing!

*Nov 16 (**Duluth** – MN, Two Harbors – MN,  up to Grand Marais – MN)*

…we left Duluth around 7 this morning, and headed up the north shore to
Grand Marais for the night; stopping at many places along the way. Agate
Bay and the main lighthouse walkway were explored, and a big push of
raptors came through during our early morning walk along the lighthouse
walkway. In one hour from this location, I counted and photographed 21
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS (5 were dark), 8 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 12 BALD EAGLES and 2
GOLDEN EAGLES. The raptors were cutting over the water and flying nearly
overhead as we were on the cliff of Lake Superior! Early migrating Bald
Eagles and winter finches were seen heading south around/after sunrise, so
many birds were tallied below. The grand tallies of the birds observed that
day are below.

Tundra Swan 28

Herring Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Rough-legged Hawk 25

Red-tailed Hawk 11

Bald Eagle 24

Golden Eagle 2

Common Redpoll 330

Bohemian Waxwing 18

Pine Siskin 6

White-winged Crossbill 55

Purple Finch 13

Snow Bunting 52

*Nov 17 (Grand Marais – MN, Gunflint Trail – MN, back to **Duluth** - MN)*

Horned Grebe

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Mallard

Ruffed Grouse

Rough-legged Hawk

Bald Eagle

Black-backed Woodpecker

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Blue Jay

Gray Jay

Black-capped Chickadee

Bohemian Waxwing

Pine Grosbeak

Red Crossbill

White-winged Crossbill

Common Redpoll

*We heard a wolf briefly once along the Gunflint Trail, and one of the
biggest surprises was seeing FOUR foxes!

*Nov 18 (Wisconsin Point – WI, Indian Pt. Campground – MN, **Canal** **Park*
* – MN)*

Mallard

Canada Geese

Lesser Scaup

Northern Pintail

LONG-TAILED DUCK – 1 (WIsconsin Point, seen with the flock of fly-by scaup)

Glaucous Gull – 3 (1 adult, 2 immature)

Thayer’s Gull – 3 juvenile, plus one 3rd-cycle at Canal Park

Iceland Gull – 1 adult

Great Black-backed Gull – one 1st winter

Rock Pigeon

*Nov 19 (Sax-Zim Bog – MN)*

Great Gray Owl  - heard at sunrise, but not seen

Pileated Woodpecker

Black-capped Chickadee

Gray Jay

Black-billed Magpie

Dark-eyed Junco

White-breasted Nuthatch

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Northern Shrike

Red Crossbill

White-winged Crossbill

American Tree Sparrow

Pine Grosbeak

American Goldfinch

Common Redpoll

*one Porcupine was seen too!

Good birding,

Erik Bruhnke

Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr