Subject:Sherburne birds & wildlife drive
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:26:12 -0800

Hi All,

The Prairie's Edge Wildlife Drive at Sherburne NWR remains open.  It seems we had quite a few visitors during the storm last Saturday - both people and birds.  One of our roving interpreters noted a great horned owl at the back side of the drive near Stickney Pool, and a pair of bald eagles at Nelson Pool during the storm.

A hiker on Blue Hill Trail saw 6 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS on Sunday.

There are still a few sandhill cranes in the area this morning.

My bird feeder at the HQ today is bustling with activity.  A single RUSTY BLACKBIRD remains - at least I think there's only one - plumage suggests it's the same bird I've been seeing since last week.  Several AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS are visiting this morning, along with AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES.  Both male and female PILEATED WOODPECKERS have been here.  They frequent the wooded area around our office, as well as the wooded area near the old school house.  Blue jays, juncos and all the other regular backyard feeder birds are present as well.  I had two COMMON REDPOLLS one day last week, but haven't seen them this morning.  I've mixed some thistle in with the other seeds, so am hoping they'll find they're favorite treat and stick around!

BTW - if you're visiting over the long holiday weekend, and notice that the bird feeder is empty, please feel free (and I'll thank you) to fill it.  Seed is in the garbage can under my office window just a few feet from the bird feeder.

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR