Subject:Red-shouldered Hawk, Anoka County
From:Erika Sitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:18:56 -0600

I just spent 45 minutes watching a beautiful Red-shouldered Hawk in the back
yard, mostly perched, but it gave me great views of the colorful wings as it
flew a couple times.  It took it about 5 min after I first saw it to get a
vole, and half that time to polish it off.  Then it just sat and looked
around.  Small birds were at all the feeders and ignoring it.  After about
15 min, one squirrel came out and then two more.  I kept mentally urging it
to go for the entrée, but, unfortunately,  it must have been in the
small-plates mode.  We saw one last winter for the first time in over 30
years here.  Hope it hangs around.  Would be nice to see it in the summer in
the front yard dining on the pocket gopher messing up the
bergamot/spiderwort patch by the driveway.

Erika Sitz

Ramsey, north Anoka County