Subject:Re: Map of current (and future?) snowy owl reports
From:dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:06:35 -0600

Hi All--

Coincidently, today I blogged about my most recent eBird
effort--transcribing my banding records into eBird.  I wholeheartedly agree with Jesse
that eBird is worth exploring. <

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Jesse Ellis <> wrote:

> Hey WI and MN birders-
> The number of Snowy Owls thus far reported in the upper midwest makes it
> clear this is an invasion year for this species. To get a sense of their
> distribution so far this winter I plotted all the sightings I could find on
> a google map, and I thought I would share. Currently the public may add new
> sightings as they occur.
> A couple of major points: all of the points on this map are intentionally
> plotted inexactly. The point here is to get a look at the overall
> distribution in our area. Because google maps is a very different sort of
> public forum than either of our listserves, I want to keep this points with
> significant error for the safety of the birds. I have generally plotted the
> point to the nearest population center mentioned in the posting to the
> listserve. If you want to get more information on a particular sighting,
> you'll need to check the appropriate listserve. If you are going to add
> points to the list, please use the rule of major population center noted
> Another major point! Only a small fraction of the reported individuals are
> currently in eBird <>! (And at least one sighting is in
> eBird <> but was not reported to the list.) Ideally, I
> wouldn't have to make my own map, because everyone sighting these birds
> would put their list into eBird <>. However, I can't
> legitimately add someone else's sightings to eBird <>. If
> you haven't tried this amazing tool for recording and viewing bird
> sightings, I suggest you give it a shot. You can now even include links to
> photos if you want to support an ID or simply make your list look snazzy.
> Please keep posting your general sightings to the lists, with as little or
> as much detail as you see fit, and keep an eye out for these magnificent
> birds!
> Jesse Ellis
> Madison, WI
> <%3Ciframe%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22350%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20scrolling=%22no%22%20marginheight=%220%22%20marginwidth=%220%22%20src=%22
> >
> --
> Jesse Ellis
> Post-doctoral Researcher
> Dept. of Zoology
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Madison, Dane Co, WI
> ----
> Archives:

Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau