Subject:SUTA, WEGR, HADU (Washington and Hennepin Counties)
From:Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:22:42 -0600

I observed the first year male(?) *Summer Tanager* at Carpenter Nature
Center today from ~1:45-2pm. He appeared active and healthy as he hung
around the two buildings near the feeders. He was seen there before I got
there and after I left. I saw Dave Bartkey's semi-late *Fox Sparrow* as
well.

I spoke with a woman (Anne) from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, who had just seen
the Summer Tanager before I got there. She said that a couple of other guys
had observed a *Harlequin Duck*, but she didn't get an exact location. We
both assumed it was that same individual male that has been over-wintering
on the Mississippi River near Prescott, WI (Dakota and Washington
Counties). She had looked there and couldn't find it, although it would
probably be easier to find once the body of open water is smaller. She also
mentioned that there was a report of several *Western Grebes* on Lake
Calhoun (Hennepin County.) The only grebe posts I've seen for that lake are
of Horned Grebes, so if anyone sees them, please let us all know.

Happy Thanksgiving...and good birdin'--

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, WI