Subject:Sharing Locations
From:Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2011 16:21:45 -0500

Ah, ethical tension.  This issue is not linear.

Stressing, harming birds - particularly rarer or declining species - certainly not good overall.

However, not sharing hinders opportunities to train & influence newer birders on how to enjoy rarer species without stressing them.

Perhaps sharing brings responsibility, to know & share good techniques, to discourage and/or report out of bounds behavior, to monitor shared birds.

I like the idea of sharing by request,  but be aware that word gets out quickly.

Conversely, there is intense frustration over inexact or tardy sharing.

Perhaps 0% stressing/fatalities is an unrealistic goal, as it is in much of life.

At this point in time I still lean towards sharing, but I'm also hearing people like Bob & Mike.

Just a few thoughts, obviously not all in one direction.

Al Schirmacher