Subject:White-winged Crossbills, Ramsey County
From:Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:31:50 -0600

Around 10:15 this morning I was somewhat surprised to find a small flock (~
10 birds) of White-winged Crossbills feeding at the top of a white spruce
at College Park on the south side of Doswell Ave. a few blocks west of the
University of MN-St. Paul campus. The birds were vocalizing frequently
until the flock stopped feeding and flew off to the north. There are a lot
of white spruces in the area so it's possible the birds could be relocated
in some nearby neighborhood. I haven't noticed any other reports of
crossbills south of Sherburne County, so perhaps these are the first and a
sign of finches to come.

--
Bob Dunlap
St. Paul, MN