Subject:Sherburne NWR Birds
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:09:52 -0800

The bird feeder at our HQ/Office has been busy today!  There are at least 2 and maybe 3 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS still present; I'm identifying them by plumage differences.  Male NORTHERN CARDINAL here this afternoon - I don't see cardinals very often.  Both male and female pileated woodpeckers have been here, red-bellied, hairy and downy too.  BROWN CREEPER made a brief appearance this morning.  Many AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES - my high count at daybreak was 42 at once.  Three AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS, although I've seen larger flocks in the area.  No pine siskins today, and no redpolls.  Lots of blue jays, and all the other regular feeder birds.

On the wildlife drive, there were several bald eagles, both adult and juv.  One young bird was sitting on the handrail of the water control structure at 3.5 miles.  A visitor photographed common redpolls yesterday, but I didn't see any today.  A single NORTHERN SHRIKE was near mile marker 3.0.

We still have about 800 cranes roosting overnight.  The only field I've seen birds in lately is along the west side of CR 3, just north of it's junction with CR 70 - about 1/2 mile north of our maintenance shop driveway.  However, I haven't spent much time looking for birds in the last week or so.

I tried twice today, midday, for the solitaire's at Ann Lake, without luck.  I'm going to try tomorrow morning - a little earlier.

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR