Subject:Re: withholding info on rare birds
From:Thamnophis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2011 20:36:05 -0500

I'm new here and should probably keep my mouth shut, but that has
never been easy for me :-)

I think sharing the localities is a good thing because it offers an
opportunity to remind newbies - like me - to abide by some guidelines.
For instance, one might give the location of a particular bird then
add something like, "Newbies: this is a rare and easily disturbed
species so please stay on the road" or "The feeders are on private
property so please respect that".

The list and this community aren't really served by reporting a
certain species at a certain park, for instance, without specific
locality info. Why play that game? So species X has been sighted at
State Park Y...great. Its more than likely a species that has been at
the park every year for 50 years - so why even bother reporting it?

There is no doubt problems with some birders / photographers behavior,
but welcome to planet earth. It comes with the territory. I think
there is greater good that comes from sharing locality info and
feeling free to preach a little about ethical behavior, keeping an eye
out for those who are not respectful of the habitat and wildlife or
even reporting what you may see as disturbing a protected species.

But policing the info shared on a community list is not tenable in my
opinion. Imagine if everyone posting had to worry about whether they
were giving away too much info. I think a better solution is for
posters to use there own best judgement and do as they see in the best
interest of the birds and the community of birders.

Joe