Subject:My last reply.
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2011 19:46:10 -0700

It seems no one is reading what I am saying!  All I am asking is to not post exact owl locations or directions to the exact tree where you spot an owl.  Owl species I am talking about are Northern Saw-whet Owls, Boreal Owls, Northern Hawk Owls, Long-eared Owls, Great Gray Owls and Snowy Owls.  Not one time in my post I said "please refrain from sharing your rare bird sightings"  Please read what I am saying people!  I also said in my request go ahead and mention any owls you might of found in Minnesota in your post BUT please not mention exactly where.  That is all.  I am not demanding it but just asking a request on the listserv! If you disagree with my request then post your Long-eared Owl roost locations you find in southern Minnesota or stands of evergreens where you saw that Northern Saw-whet Owl so the whole birding population plus photographers can come and tramp all over the stand to see it!

So I will finish by saying this.  I am NOT going to share my EXACT owl locations on the internet and I thought I ask the MOU listserv subscribers if they would do the same and the editors of the RBA hotlines.  I am making demanding anyone to agree with me or not.  Make your own decision on what you want to do and if you go back to that stand of conifers and the Long-eared owls are gone or if that Northern Saw-whet Owl is not there anymore then maybe then you will understand what I am saying.

I am tired of seeing Northern Hawk Owls being treated like domesticated dogs for photos!  I am tired of seeing ignorant people walking around with fishing poles and homemade contraptions of mice decoys on the end of the fishing lines.  I am tired of seeing foot prints walking right up to trees where a Boreal Owl was roosting along the north shore of Lake Superior because I made the dumb mistake of announcing where exactly people could see this owl.  I am tired of having to promote my guiding by announcing to the world all the owls I spotted and where you can see them.  Maybe I getting old and hopefully a little wiser too.  My trust in people has fallen a lot in the last few years.

So the bottom line if you want to share your EXACT owl location on the MOU listserv then go ahead.  If you want to join me and not post exact owl location then thank you.

Before I go.. please remember this request is about sharing exact owl locations NOT rare birds like vagrants.  I am not advising anyone not to mention owl species you spotted just do not give a exact location where you saw that owl.  Ok? we got it figured out now what I am asking?  (-:

By the way..personally I think baiting to get owl photos is a dumb ass thing to do but hey do what makes you feel good I guess or what sell your photos.

The END!

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota