Subject:Re: My last reply.
From:Stefanie Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:03:10 -0500

I guess this is one of those things that each individual will have to
wrestle with.  One of the problems I see with habituating owls is that they
than become vulnerable.  I'm sure everyone has seen  road signs riddled with
buckshot- the result of boredom and  a gun I imagine.  So imagine now a
curious owl looking for a handout.
Just in the past year, we've had birders going off-road for a better look at
Rough-legged Hawks, birders assembling virtually on top of the location
thought to harbor nesting Blue Grosbeak(in spite of having  large telephoto
lenses) and, most recently, the Whooping Crane incident.  In each case the
original poster gave indications that thy wished they hadn't.
Each individual will do as they please.  Most things can probably be
reported without undue harm.  I would, however, be reluctant to post the
location of a nesting bird and no power on earth could get me to disclose
the location of say, a Black Rail should I find one.  I'd have visions of an
army of birders with tape recorders marching through the wetland until
finally it was relocated .......... on the bottom of a boot.
Finally, there seems to be the notion(in some posts) that anyone finding a
bird is obligated to share that information and that, if they don't, it is
prima facie evidence of competitive selfishness.  There are other reasons
not to do so, and those reasons should be respected as well.

Kurt