Subject:Rusty Blackbirds
From:Holly Peirson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:12:26 -0500

Today while taking my son to school, I saw 4 Rusty Blackbirds sitting at the
top of an almost leafless poplar or aspen tree.

Although the look was quick, I am calling them Rusty's because of their
large size (as large as or larger than a robin), their plumpness, their lack
of long tail -- considering the fact that our grackles have been gone for at
least a week. They were definitely too large for Redwing and Brewers, which
have also been gone for at least a week, and both of which are more like
Cardinal-sized. They were completely black, so not Yellow-headed and wrong
habitat -- tho there are YHBB's in the area, but they are gone as well.

Juuust right for Rusty, which I have mostly always seen at the tops of
trees.

The location is just east of exit #129 from I-35, for Hwy 97/Lake Drive,
between Columbus/SE Anoka Co. and Forest Lake/N Washington Co. The land is
either on or very near the eastern portion of Lamprey Pass WMA, with marshy
low lands and somewhat higher wooded hunting land.

I will watch for them this p.m. when I head back that way, but I would be
surprised to find them still there.

Holly Peirson
Columbus, SE Anoka Co