Subject:Letter from MOU VP - Please Read
From:Carl Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:33:05 -0500

The discussion sparked from the request to not post specific locations of
owls this winter has a long history and passionate viewpoints on both sides.
I personally think this is healthy and has brought the issues of ethical
birding to many of our newer members that may not have considered these
topics before. I encourage everyone to follow the ABA code of ethics and in
areas where the interpretation of the code is not clear, consider the
welfare of the animal. The ABA code can be found here:
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

However, during the debate I saw several references to the MOU and the
MOUNet listservice. The postings on this topic have all been personal
opinions and not in any way put forward by the MOU board or officers.
Differing viewpoints are welcomed by the MOU and MOUNet. We realize our
members come from a variety of backgrounds and interests and all of you are
valuable to us as members and friends. The MOU does not censor or remove
postings according to our personal beliefs so if you choose to post specific
locations of birds the posting will show up on MOUNet and if you don't it
won't. We also do not have an official policy to "ban" or censor photographs
we receive other than those not meeting journalistic standards. To my
knowledge, photographs have never been denied publication on the website or
in print due to violations of the ABA code of ethics. Please do not blame
the MOU or MOUNet if you disagree with a viewpoint expressed by one or
several of the individual persons on the listservice, there are a thousand
others who were quiet. MOUNet does have rules they can be found here:

http://moumn.org/listservice.html

The MOU is an outstanding organization if you care about birds in Minnesota.
We offer top-notch services to our members (and others) including the
website, the Loon, our newsletter, conservation initiatives, legislative and
DNR lobbying, official state bird records, educational programs, field
trips, Christmas Bird Count, workshops, social media, MOUNet, an annual
meeting and scientific paper sessions, scientific and educational grants,
and many other services. We are a volunteer operated non-profit organization
who is funded primarily through our memberships and gifts. Each and every
member is important to us and we feel that by being a member of the MOU you
are doing great things for the birds of Minnesota through the previously
listed programs. Thank You. If you are not a member we would love to have
you join. You can join or renew through PayPal at
http://moumn.org/signup.html or by mail at http://moumn.org/join.html

Remember - You are the MOU! If you disagree with the operation of the
organization, our policies, our programs, or anything else, you can find
your MOU Officers here: http://moumn.org/officers.html and our contact
information here: http://moumn.org/contact.html in addition our board
meetings are open to all members and most of us will be at the paper session
in December. Finally if you would like to see changes to the MOU then get
involved there are many volunteer positions open and more that open all the
time, contact your president (president@moumn.org) for more information.

Thanks,

Carl Greiner

Vice President,