Subject:Re: [mou-net] MOU Records Committee - Ferruginous Hawk Accepted 6-1
From:Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:53:10 -0700

One thing that several states do, which seems like a good idea, is to
keep all the documentation and the Records Committee comments and
votes in a file that is archived and open for public inspection in a
secure location. For example, New York archives their committee
records at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. If MOU were to do this, I'd
presume the Bell Museum would be the right place for maintaining the
archives. Of course, for all I know, this may already be the protocol.

But again, as someone who is utterly burned out after serving on
various boards and committees, I do not see any value in adding to the
workload of people on MOURC. And I think it's both unkind and
destructive of a cohesive birding community to engage a whole listserv
in criticizing an important committee, and specifically questioning
one person's vote on that committee, when we never seem to engage the
listserv in pointing out the huge contribution that this committee
makes in maintaining our state, national, and international
ornithological standing. I would much rather see the committee members
feeling free to vote their concerns on a record than be pressured into
making votes unanimous when legitimate questions may exist about a
particular record.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after
the winter.

            —Rachel Carson