Subject:[mou-net] Osprey and Snowy Owl
From:john c. nelson
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2011 17:23:12 -0700

This morning, as I left home for work at Pet Expo, I noticed a large
bird cross over the road (CTY 10 mile west of Beauford). I assumed an
eagle, as they are becoming almost common around that area, and as I
caught up to it guessed it was an immature eagle. However, as I passed
it and took another look, saw a beautiful Osprey. Not a
common bird around us at any time, a bit late here I would guess.
While I have been on the lookout for a Snowy, I have not been
successful. However,customer from Minnesota Lake reported having one
fly by twice while he was in a duck blind on the north side of the
lake late last week. This would be the year to see one here, I would
guess. The camera will be with me at all times!
Customers report varying numbers of birds at their feeders,
particularly Cardinals and Goldfinches lots or few.
We still have a first year Harris Sparrow daily, but no Pine Siskins
or Red Polls.
A report from the National Sunflower Assoc. states that the BOSS crop
is expected to be down 24% with both acreage and yield lower. Not good
news.

John Nelson
Good Thunder MN