Subject:[mou-net] More Snowy Owls in the Red River Valley
From:Heidi Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:27:53 -0700

I placed a story in local newspapers last week asking readers to report
sightings of Snowy Owls in the Red River Valley.  Here's an update:

At 9am today, Van Hapka reported a female Snowy Owl on 190th Street NW in
Warren  - 2.5 miles west of the Audubon Center.  I photographed that
bird... and on the way to see it I spotted 3 Rough-legged Hawks, 2 Bald
Eagles, 4 Ravens, a flock of redpolls and 4 Black-billed Magpies.

Rex Crapeau reported another at 9:30am at Evans Scrap & Steel on Hwy 32 in
Thief River Falls.  He reported another - darker Snowy Owl - a mile north
of Evans between Hwy 59 and 32.

On Friday, a Snowy Owl was reported 8 miles west of TRF in Goodrich on
Marshall County Road 219

On Saturday, Shelley Steva spotted a Snowy Owl Saturday on Polk County 20
in Sherack.  Rhoda Gust of Roseau reported a Snowy Owl 2 miles northwest of
Badger, MN Saturday afternoon.  Donna Wensloff reported another on a power
pole 8 miles south of Roseau.

On Thursday, I spotted a Snowy Owl on Hwy 11 north of Salol (between Roseau
and Warroad) and a Goshawk flying over Hwy 11 just north of Badger, MN.*
Duane Potucek reported a Snowy owl 3 miles north and 1 mile west of Radium,
MN on Wednesday.  Jan Pietruskewski reported a Snowy Owl southwest of
Karlstad near Kick'n Up Kountry a Wagon Wheel Ridge - 1160 410th ave and
Hwy 11.

**Bette Allison reported a dead Snowy Owl on Monday at Roseau County Rd 2
and Hwy 89 near Badger.

Angie Owens reported 2 Snowy Owls in Euclid last week.

Laura Skornicka spotted one on US 75 between Climax and Crookston, MN last

Suzy Fiesel reported a snowy near Crary ND last Sunday.  Another was
reported near Vahallla.

Heidi Hughes
Agassiz Audubon Society
27391  190th Street NW
Warren MN  56762

Visit the Audubon Center of the Red River Valley & Omdahl Arboretum!