Subject:[mou-net] Photos of a Mallard going gull-watching, and a Barrow's Goldeneye @ Canal Park
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:50:16 -0700

Yesterday afternoon I made a visit to Canal Park to do some gullwatching.
One Glaucous Gull provided gorgeous views among the many Herring Gulls! The
sun was at my back for the photos, and the Glaucous Gulls really host a
gorgeous and rich set of frosty coloration in their younger years.  As the
gulls flushed on their own, I picked out one adult Glaucous Gull mixed in
with the Herring Gulls.

A funny little series of photos (in order), of a Mallard going gull-watching

Glaucous Gull

Barrow's Goldeneye (adult male)

Rock Pigeon

And a 3rd-cycle Herring Gull/sub-adult Herring Gull I believe. I was thrown
off initially by this bird's dark eyes and soft-mottled head & front side,
for the age of the bird. It is the gull on the left, in the photos below.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography