Subject:[mou-net] 274 Bald Eagles and 1 Snowy Owl
From:Scott Mehus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:16:29 -0700

Wanted to let everyone know what the bald eagle numbers are like along the Mississippi River near Wabasha.  At 1:00 today there were over 274 bald eagles near Read's Landing.  Most of these were visible from the town of Read's Landing and the first pull off just upriver from the town of Read's Landing.  One small sandbar had over 60 eagles sitting on it!  There is also a nice assortment of waterfowl, along with both Tundra and Trumpeter Swans.
 From the HWY 61 Geological marker just upriver from the above mentioned spots, I also found a Snowy Owl.  I was standing in Minnesota, but the owl was standing along the shoreline on the Wisconsin side of Lake Pepin.

THANK YOU,
Scott A. Mehus
Education and Eagle Research Director