Subject:Re: [mou-net] Long-tailed Duck not found Hennepin County and Bald Eagle lunch
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:18:46 -0700

If you have ever watched Coots take off, they need a running start.  In
early winter groups of Coots will get trapped in pools of open water that
are too small to allow them to get airborn making them easy pickings for
hungry eagles.  The eagles will feast until they consume the flock or
conditions change enough to allow for the escape of some survivors.  It was
probably no accident that it was mature eagles that are experienced with
this dining oportunity.

Steve

--
Steve Weston