Subject:[mou-net] Barrow's Goldeneye & Great Blue Heron
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:28:20 -0700

I was birding along the Mississippi River yesterday afternoon - stopping at various places to look at waterfowl.  A male Barrow's Goldeneye was among a large raft of Common Goldeneyes, easily viewed from the boat ramp at the Municipal Park in Sauk Rapids (Benton County).  There were two other rafts of goldeneyes up river from this point as well, one with 60+ birds.
The park, and this particular spot, is at 10th St. North and River Ave. North - River Ave runs parallel to Benton Drive between the railroad tracks and the river.  Easiest place to access this site is by Vos's Motors on Benton Dr.  Access at the east end would be by the Burger King on 1st St.  I don't think there is any other access road between 1st and 10th.
In Sartell (Stearns County), there was a Great Blue Heron standing on some rocks along the S. bank of the Miss. River -along CR 1 (Riverside Ave or Dr - can't remember which it is), about a block north of Edgewater Lane.  There are always lots of C. geese in this area.
Betsy Beneke