CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2012

From:
Gerard Whoriskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:58:34 +0000
Commercial Response

We have followed this discussion thread with interest.  We can confirm  that CoolLED provides spectral data on its website and we endeavour to respond quickly when more detailed information is requested.

Excitation filters are required as LEDs do emit a significant tail off the peak that would show up as background when it crosses the emission filter passband.  The level of blocking required when using LEDs is much less than when using an Hg bulb so there is no need for an OD=6 outside of the excitation passband.  This should reduce the demands on filtering as LEDs become more common in fluorescence.

We fully understand the complexities involved when measuring intensity at the sample.  I have personally been shocked at how much results can vary depending on the measuring kit,  microscope set-up and techniques used.  This may explain why some product manufacturers claim extreme intensity results that don’t hold up when side-by-side comparisons are made.  CoolLED can provide product on evaluation so that the user can be satisfied that performance will be achieved in their application.

CoolLED would also be happy to provide its LED product to any impartial individual or institution interested in doing a comparison of sources.  We are happy to share our knowledge on measuring intensity based on many years of experience in LED illumination in microscopy.

Best Regards,

Gerry

Gerard Whoriskey

Development Engineer