CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2012

From:
Kurt Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:49:40 -0800

I maintain an 8 TB file server for this purpose.  It's a Ubuntu server
with  10 1 TB drives in a RAID 6 configuration.  It's mountable from any
of our microscopes and from most computers at the university.  It is not
designed for long term storage - in fact, because the data rate is a few
TB/year, we are implementing automatic deletion of files older than one
year, and requiring the end users to deal with long term data storage.
It's mainly there to facilitate moving data around.

Once you have automated microscopes, you can generate pretty impressive
quantities of data - we have one user doing multiposition timelapse with
Z-stacks who generates ~200GB / night.

I'm happy to answer additional questions.

Best,
Kurt