Subject:Swans & Pileated Woodpecker
From:Forest Strnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:06:41 -0800

After church Sunday the 12th, we drove out to Wells Lake. This lake is about 2 miles west of Faribault off Hwy 60. Go about another mile north on CR 12 to Cannon/Wells Lake bridge. There we saw 2 swans. They both had a black bill, and we called them Trumpeter Swans. They had been there since Friday the 10th.

On Feb. 10 one Pileated Woodpecker came in to feed on suet at the homemade suet feeder that had butcher's suet. It stayed there about 10 min. Then on Sat. the 11th a friend came in to see us, and while she was here, a single Pileated Woodpecker showed up at the suet feeder again and stayed for about 5 min. This feeder is on an apple tree on the east side of our apartment building near the walking trail along the Straight River.

Rev. Forest V. Strnad
Faribault, MN