Subject:Sherburne feeder birds
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:20:32 -0800

Things seem to be changing a bit at my Sherburne HQ bird feeder.  Lots and lots of woodpeckers - hairy's are displaying and showing territorial aggression.  Hairy, downy and red-bellied numbers are increasing - today I have 4 female red-bellied woodpeckers at one time, and up to 3 sets of downys and hairy's at a time.  I know the peanut butter suet isn't THAT good!

Yesterday and today have lots of goldfinches and a few redpolls, and today a couple male purple finches are here.  Two mourning doves and a brown creeper visited briefly this morning also.  Haven't seen those 2 species for two months or more.

And, I've seen horned larks in Stearns, Benton and Sherburne Counties in the last few days.  Bring it on - migration!!!  We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of hooded mergansers in the river outside HQ!

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR