Subject:Pope County birds
From:Sid Stivland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:03:44 -0600

A bit late but here it is:

My wife and I took the alternate route to Pope County last Sunday on I-94 to look for the snowy in Stearns county.  It was at the same location reported by Betsy Beneke and others off 390th and CR 26.  It must have been within 100 yards of the location reported.  It did fly maybe 200 yards east to another location on the ridge.  Difficult to say if it is stressed or not.  If strong flight is good – it may be in pretty good shape.

Also had a second-hand report of a possible snowy in Glenwood last week.  Reported by a retired DNR guy so might be fairly reliable.  The sighting was at Barsness Park east of Lake Minnewaska, the soccer field area – not the wooded section.  I scoured the area and checked the lake several times but saw no sign of it!

Not much else of interest but, as others have reported, Horned Larks are everywhere.  I had a flock of maybe 50 birds at my farm.

Sid Stivland

Plymouth, MN
(and Pope County)