Subject:bird activity Stearns, Benton, Sherburne
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 2012 11:30:51 -0800

Last night on my way home from work, I noticed nearly 100 trumpeter swans flying over Sauk Rapids, Sartell area, some birds landing in the river and some continuing north.  Cool sight in the fog - some of them were calling.    I haven't seen trumpeters along that part of the river since November.

Along county roads on the way to work today (late morning) in both Benton and Sherburne counties, I saw 3 flocks of robins - one flock was about 50 birds, moving across fields and one flock in a yard with a crab apple tree.  A few miles down the road, there were 6 red-bellied woodpeckers at the road side, 2 on the shoulder, two sitting on a power line, and one hanging from a power pole.

At Sherburne NWR, red-tailed hawks are sitting in the same trees they did last summer and fall.

Is this early, early spring movement?  Or just a response to warm temps, lack of snow?

Betsy Beneke
St. Cloud, Benton County