Subject:migrating waterfowl
From:Frederickson Randy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:14:34 +0000

On 18 Feb. I observed 4 goldeneyes in Kandiyohi county on Foot Lake, in a patch of water Canada geese have kept open.  No ducks were here all winter, so these are  migrants.  This is 9 days earlier than my earliest recorded date for godeneyes in the county, and almost 3 weeks earlier than last year.  On the same day in NW Todd county, I observed 6 swans flying NW (I was in my vehicle, but presume them to be trumpeters, based on date).  I do not know of any trumpeters overwintering near this location (Eagle Bend) so also presume them to be migrating birds.

We still cannot find a snowy owl in Kandiyohi county:(

Randy Frederickson
Willmar