Subject:Field Trips
From:Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:32:01 -0600

Jim Ryan is the new Field Trip Chair for MOU.  I will still be leading trips, four are below, two of which are MOU and require registration, two of which are Sherburne refuge trips and don't.

> * International Migratory Bird Day Tour (Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge), Saturday, May 12th, 8:00-11:00 AM, meet at Sherburne Refuge's headquarters.  No registration required.  Field trip leader, Al Schirmacher.
>
> * MOU Sherburne Refuge Tour, Tuesday, May 15th.  7:30 AM, meet at Sherburne Refuge's Mahnomen trail.  Trip limited to 20 registrants.  Field trip leader, Al Schirmacher.  We will cover three trails (two hiking, one auto tour), emphasizing spring migrants/warblers (we often break 20 species), as well as resident nesters like Lark Sparrow.  Register with Al directly at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net
>
> * MOU Highway 169 Big Day Tour, Thursday, May 17th.  Bit of an unusual tour.  Meet at 3:30 AM in Rice Lake Refuge parking lot along Highway 65.  Trip limited to 10 birders willing to do a Big Day together in 3-4 vehicles.  Trip leader, Al Schirmacher.  We will cover Aitkin, Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties, from Aitkin County 18 south to Sherburne Refuge, generally along the 169 corridor.  Anticipate seeing and hearing 130 + - species.  Anticipated completion time, 8:00 PM.  Although we will not sprint from location to location, and are not trying to break any records, this is for those with the passion & stamina & relational skills to do a Big Day together.  Minnesota park stickers will probably be necessary.  We start early to hear Yellow Rails, LeConte's and maybe Sharp-tailed Sparrows.  Register with Al directly at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net
>
> * Summer Bird Tour (Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge), Saturday, June 2nd, 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM.  Meet at Sherburne Refuge's Blue Hill Trail.  No registration required.  Includes both walking and driving.  Enjoy Sherburne Refuge's resident, singing species.  Trip leader, Al Schirmacher.

Thanks to Jim for his work, and for the opportunity to enjoy birds together.

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties