Subject:Slow birding in February yields Gadwall, Scaup highlights
From:Jim Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:10:30 -0600

On such a warm, sunny, yet breezy day in this most snow-less February in my
memory, we had to get out to see a few birds somewhere.

Along the Minnesota River we went;

Black Dog Road & Nicols Rd. contained nary a bird on the East side. Not
even any *eagles* to see there today. As always, plenty of* Mallards* & *Canada
Geese* were present in the man-made ponds East of the plant.

Our next stop was Veterans Park in Shakopee, which provided one *Dark-eyed
junco* all alone, seven *Trumpeter Swans*, dozens and dozens of *Canada
Geese* and hundreds and hundreds of *Mallards*. Three *domestic geese* of
some sort completed the scene, with their atonal shrieks.

Amongst these abundant winter residents was one male *Common Goldeneye* and
two *Gadwall* males, a highlight.

Continuing our circuit, we headed to Carver Rapids MVNWR, where a flock of
about a dozen *Wild Turkeys* was on the edge of the cornfield outside the
park and only lots of *chickadees*, a few *White-breasted Nuthatches
*and *Downy
Woodpeckers* and one *Red-bellied Woodpecker* were to be found inside.

On the way back we saw a* Red-tailed Hawk* on the ground two feet from the
roadway (212 exit to 494W). As we passed, it had it's head turned 'round
facing behind it, as if it had made a failed attempt at lunch.

Our last stop was the Bass Ponds, which was largely unremarkable, save
plenty of dog-walkers and one pair of* Lesser Scaup* amongst the previously
mentioned species.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----
One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and
Nature shall not be broken. -* Leo Tolstoy*

A well governed appetite is the greater part of liberty. - *Lucius Annaeus
Seneca*