Subject:Re: Lake Vadnais
From:Judd Zandstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:35:16 -0600

Thanks for the reference.

As a member of the Shoreview Bike and Trails Committee, I heard a
presentation from Greg Mack, head of Ramsey Count Parks and Rec, recently
that included a description of the Lake Vadnais project. The underlying
reason for closing the road is the high cost of maintaining it. There is no
real safety issue.

Of more interest to birders may be the thinning of trees and clearing of
underbrush currently taking place on the north end of the property. I'm not
sure how far south they intend to go.  I'm not enough of an ecologist to
know if this will improve or degrade bird habitat but right now there's a
lot of bare ground with 50 foot pines that are bare of branches except near
the tops.

Judd Zandstra