Subject:MVNWR on 2-2-12
From:Allan Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Feb 2012 16:03:18 -0600

What a foggy Groundhogs Day. In our afternoon at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, we wandered east of the Old Cedar Avenue Bridge and saw a flock of about 20 robins, five cardinals singing their spring songs, some purple finches, and a lone (perhaps lonely) bluejay. Coming back on the south path from the SH 77 bridge, we photographed 3 cedar waxwings mixed in with the robins. From the observation deck looking across the MN River, we saw two adult bald eagles, one atop a tree closer to the old Cedar Ave Bridge and another on a nest just upstream from the power plant. A red-tailed hawk looked for dinner atop one of the arches of the Old Cedar Ave Bridge. Four dozen mallards chattered among themselves in the pond/wetland between the observation deck and the parking lot. When we returned to the parking lot, we saw two pileated woodpeckers and heard them calling in flight.

p.s. Another birder had spotted a white thing in a tree from that observation deck. In our photo of it, it is not a snowy owl or a plastic bag, but a globe to a street light.