Subject:Yesterday's Sax-Zim Bog photos and sightings
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Feb 2012 09:06:38 -0600

I made a visit to Sax-Zim bog yesterday with some friends from Hawk Ridge.
It was one of my friend's birthday's, and we decided to take it easy for
the day and enjoy strolling around the bog. One of the most-exciting finds
of the day (in addition to the fun boreal birds) was a briefly-seen
Sharp-shinned Hawk! It peeled over the tree tops, and we were treated to
about a 10 second view of this bird. This little accipiter had the classic
appearance of what we're treated to at Hawk Ridge, by the thousands in the
fall... small accipiter with flap flap flap glide wingbeats; with wingbeats
being very abrupt and slappy. the small head and squared-off tail could be
seen. I miss working at Hawk Ridge, and wanted to count-interpret for you

Another fun thing was running into two groups of birdwatchers. Got to meet
up for a bit with Chris Wood from Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and Glenn
Olsen & birding friends from Texas!

Below are yesterday's finds, followed by some pictures. Enjoy the photos!

Ruffed Grouse
Sharp-tailed Grouse
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Gray Jay
Blue Jay
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common raven
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
European Starling
Pine Grosbeak
White-winged Crossbill
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch

Pine Grosbeak, perched atop a hoarfrost-covered jack pine

2-scene Hairy Woodpecker shots....On the branch, and leaping off

Little Boreal Chickadee

Rough-legged Hawk

Sharp-tailed Grouse

Hoarfrost-covered jack pine

Hoarfrost grasses

Jack pine tuft, covered in hoarfrost

Hoarfrost horizon

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography