Subject:Aitkin and Crow Wing Counties this weekend
From:Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Feb 2012 14:21:19 -0600

Butch Ukura and I birded around the area this past weekend and found a
number of really good birds. We found a NORTHERN GOSHAWK in Crow Wing
County along Spruce Grove Road, just off of C.R.11. The SNOWY OWL is
still north of Aitkin near the junction of C.R. 1 and C.R.22, along the
dirt road that goes straight north of the junction. Other notable birds:
9 TRUMPETER SWANS, 11 BALD EAGLES, 6 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, 6 NORTHERN
SHRIKES, 1 BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, 5 GRAY JAYS along the snowmobile trail
south of Pietz'z Road, lots of WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, lots of PINE
GROSBEAKS, 12 EVENING GROSBEAKS, hundreds of COMMON REDPOLLS and we were
lucky enough to see the THREE-TOED WOODPECKER found by Herb
Dingman(thank you) in Crow Wing County. Another highlight of the weekend
was when we stopped to check the suet feeder we had put out along the
snowmobile trail south of Pietz'a Road. There was a beautiful ERMINE
busy feeding on it. It allowed us to watch it at close range for at
least 15 minutes -- a real treat. We and the other birders at the
Three-toed Woodpecker spot saw a GRAY FOX.
Warren Nelson