Subject:Grand Marais Fri-Sun: no Bohemian Waxwings
From:Jeanne Tanamachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2012 00:15:48 +0000

I spent a few days in Grand Marai s ta king a class at the North House Folk Schoo l. I d idn't have too much time to bird but I checked the campground four times for the Bohemian Waxwings. They weren't there when I was although many mountain ash trees h ad mounds   of berry pulp underneath and no berries on top . The campsite just lakeside of the swimming center yielded a consolation prize of 4 Pine Grosbeaks going through that berry pulp in hopes that something had been overlooked . Two American Robins were also seen.

Some local residents said the Bohemians were hanging out recently over at Artist's Point. I checked there but struck out again. Ditto on the Forest Service building  Townsend's Solitaire although another consolation prize was a close flyby there by a Pileated Woodpecker.

Jeanne Tanamachi

Lauderdale Mn