Subject:Strange Swans
From:Bruce...Hackensack, Mn
Date:Sun, 5 Feb 2012 20:21:47 -0600

Today on Child Lake between Hackensack and Longville I observed a pair of Trumpeter Swans just sitting on the snow covered ice. One slept and one was on guard. They were there for two plus hours. They stayed put when fisherman on snowmobiles came within  50-60 yrds of the birds as they went to their fish houses. They never moved but were on alert. I do not know if these are early arrivals or birds that have never left. There is very little open water to support them Has anyone else noticed anything similar? There are no harvested grain fields anywhere near. What are they sustaining on?

Cass County, Mn