Subject:Dakota Co.
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:28:24 -0600

I birded Dakota County with Kevin Smith Sunday.  we found about 29
species.  A hike through Vermillion Highlands (Dakota Co. newest park in
the U-More area in Empire Twshp) was not very birdy although we found at
least one Great Horned Owl (with the help of the crows) and at least three
Red-breasted Nuthatches.  We found over 50 Trumpters Swans flying about the
fields along 190th Street just west of Hy 316 and an Eurasian Collared Dove
just east of Vermillion.  I thought given the numbers that they would be
Tundras, but we ID'd a couple of Trumpeters and they are on the St. Croix
in large numbers.  After a brief wait of about a half hour, we were treated
to an appearance of the beautiful Varried Thrush at Richard's Blackbird
Trail house.  We also had Cedar Waxwings and heard that White-winged
Crossbills have been frequenting the area's spruces.  Our last stop at dusk
was an unsuccessful look for the Snowy Owl that has been showing up around
Hwy 42 and Idell in Nininger Twshp.

On Saturday we had a Red-shouldered Hawk stop by our house in Eagan.
Steve Weston
sweston2@comcast.net