Subject:Duluth gull numbers winter 2011-2012
From:Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:32:23 -0800

For the fourth fall/winter in a row, I have attempted to identify the number of individuals of all the less common gulls in the Duluth harbor by comparing photos of each bird. The results are at least 56 Thayer’s Gulls, 12 Iceland Gulls, 43 Glaucous Gulls, 9 Great-Black-backed Gulls, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 Glaucous-winged Gull, and 1 Nelson’s Gull (hybrid Glaucous X Herring Gull).
Photos of many of these birds can be seen at www.pbase.com/karlbardon(under Duluth/Superior gulls fall/winter 2011-2012).
Many gulls are still being seen in the Duluth harbor- although most Thayer’s have long since moved on (only about 8 remaining), the number of Glaucous and Great Black-backed Gulls are still increasing and I am still discovering new individuals.
Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN