Subject:Belated Reports (and some current)
From:Holly Peirson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:32:40 -0600

Hello MN birders!

On Jan. 16, my son and I spotted a Peregrine Falcon on a light post above
Hwy 36 in Roseville, between Lexington and Hamline. We both looked up, then
at each other to confirm. Yep, we both saw it!! And then just down the road
closer to Rosedale (probably to their dismay) were the Red-tailed Hawk pair
that spends most of their year along that stretch of 36.

On Jan. 26, I saw a perfect light phase juvenile Rough-legged Hawk flying
over Main Street/Hwy 14/Hwy 242 in Blaine, between Sunset and Lexington. I
say juvenile bcs the dark under-wing patches were surrounded with white,
there was no darker leading edge like there would be in an adult bird. What
a lovely bird that was!

Last week I spotted a Brown Creeper in the yard. It's been here frequently
since then (probably been here all the time, I just was blind before last
week....) This is probably the first time one has stayed all winter.... I'll
have to check my notes.

There are 2 adult Bald Eagles that are spending the winter very near the
Osprey platform on Lake Drive west of I-35 about 3/4 mile or so. They
commonly perch at the very top of a large tree very near the canoe access
parking lot. We see them at least 2-3 times a week. Nice!

Owls are calling nightly!! Both Great Horned and Barred, different
directions from the house.

Today there were two Trumpeter Swans on the river below the outflow dam from
Peltier Lake, in Centerville, visible from the bridge and parking lot off
Cty 14.

Holly Peirson

Columbus, SE Anoka Co.