CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:00:55 -0400

Hi Urs,

Chapter 24 on "Blind deconvolution" of Pawley 2006 Handbook by Holmes,
Biggs, and Abu-Tarif. You can check the AutoQuant product line at Media
Cybernetics to see if brightfield deconvolution is in there.

As for optical sectioning in transmitted light, Shinya Inoue in Video
Microscopy (1st ed - I don't recall Spring & Inoue in this detail)
showed very nice optical sectioning of a preparation using phase contrast.

I believe IATIA (now ultimacapital.net/iatiaimaging ) QPm Z-series have
Z-resolved maps. Search for "iatia qpm" on the internet. For starters, see

http://aups.org.au/Proceedings/34/121-127/121-127.pdf
/www.focusonmicroscopy.org/2004/abstracts/056_Xiang.pdf
www.ultimacapital.net/*iatia*imaging
/
QPm is inside the GE InCell series HCS instruments (now handled by
Applied Precision). I have encouraged GE/API to take advantage of their
license to
(1) give InCell users the QPm map data - instead of just providing a
user interface to spew out the dumbed down phase contrast like image
(complete with halo!).
(2) integrate QPm into the DeltaVision deconvolution and the OMX 3D-SIM
nanoscope lines (every OMX ships with the deconvolution software - I
have not mentioned that QPm of structured illumination source data
should have even better optical sectioning since their marketing dept is
struggling with the idea of QPm as yet another quantitative imaging mode
... I did mention that an InCell with 3D-SIM and their newly tweaked PCO
sCMOS could be even more fun - single molecule counting - than the
somewhat clever linescan confocal mode in the InCell 6000).

Enjoy,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Image Core Manager

http://www.sylvester.org/AICF   (AICF home page)
PubSpectra data (XLSX file inside)
    http://www.sylvester.org/documents/PubSpectra.zip (download 2000+ spectra)
    http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/
PubSpectra / UA Graphing Site
     http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/index.html   (Carl Boswell, now retired)
New UA Spectra Database Site
     http://www.spectra.arizona.edu/                  (Urs Utzinger)
UMiami Scholarly Repository "selected works"
     http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara
Care to link?
     http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgemcnamara

Ready for imaging in 2012? Check out:

Miami 2012 Winter Symposium: Nanotechnology in Biomedicine
February 26-29, 2012, Miami, FL
Nature Publishing Group / University of Miami / Scripps Florida
http://www.nature.com/natureconferences/miami/mws2012/speakers.html

Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF)
International Symposium
March 17-20, 2012, Orlando, FL
http://conf.abrf.org/index.cfm

Biomedical Optics 2012 (OSA BIOMED) - Optical Society of America
April 29-May 2, 2012, Miami, FL
http://www.osa.org/meetings/topical_meetings/BIOMED/default.aspx

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." - Douglas Macarthur.
"Old antibodies die, please throw them away." - GM.

"Well of course you can't understand your data, you have too many controls" - Anna M. Wu, quoted in Andreas Markus Loening, Ph.D. dissertation, UCLA, 2006.
"If you do all the controls, you'll never publish." - GM.
"If you don't do the controls, you shouldn't publish." ... alternative: "If you don't do the controls, don't waste everyone's time in lab meeting." - GM.