CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:27:07 -0700

Bleaching the beads will be difficult - we haven't managed to bleach single labelled fluorospheres down to a level where they'd be suitable as fiduciaries even in our very bright laser spot, although, as far as I recall, tetraspecks bleach significantly faster. At any rate you're going to have a hard time doing it in an aliquot. Ultimately you're after something which is only marginallly brighter than a single molecule, so assuming you do manage to bleach the beads to this level you're either going to loose them completely or have problems with intermittency. As to labelling your own - you're pretty much limited to surface attachment, which will be in the same chemical environment as the dyes you're imaging and will thus bleach and blink similarly (beads with surface attached dye do make got test samples though). An out of band bead, however, sounds like a really good idea.

Colloidal gold also works, although the results can be a bit variable (at least with the relatively cheap gold nanoparticles we've tried). We've also seen intermittency (blinking) of the gold nanoparticles and are as yet at a loss to explain it. One promising option that we've yet to try is nanodiamonds (they are very stable and typically have a small number of nitrogen vacancy centres and a long lived excited state so are sufficiently weak so as not to interfere).

cheers,
David