CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
Philipp Bethge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:20:54 +0100

Dear all,

I was wondering if somebody has worked with a 'smart' average
z-projection, that is a average projection of a z-stack that does not
average of the entire stack size but only over the slides where a signal
is actually present. So, for example, one has an oblique structure in a
large stack, lets say the structure has a z-extension of 4 slides but
the whole stack is 30 stacks large. As I understand the regular average
z-projection algorithm in ImageJ, every pixel is summed and devided by
the total number of slides in the stack. Then the signal of only 4
slides would be averaged over 30 slides, therefore reducing signal
intensity dramatically without further reducing background noise.
Of course, one would have to define 'signal' somehow, but I guess that
could be done manually by binarization of the image slides individually.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks alot,

--
Philipp Bethge