CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2012

From:
Barbara Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:11:31 -0400

Hi, Joel

Have recently undergone this operation, this question is near and
dear to my heart!

The ultimate answer to your question rests in what they actually want
to see.  However, in general, this sounds like one of those
situations perfectly suited to a confocal serial section with 3D
reconstruction.  We had a situation years ago when I was working for
Sarastro in which a researcher wanted to image the whole cornea.  In
his case, the most useful information came from a Z
section.  However, more recently, when I went to the surgeon, he did
just regular imaging to look at the cells on my cornea.. a situation
which is very analogous to your problem.

I agree that mounting the lens cell side toward the objective makes
the most sense.  Also, mounting in Saline (or eye drops?) will reduce
the spherical aberration.

Good hunting! .... and let us know how it turns out!

Barbara Foster, President and Sr. Consultant
Microscopy/Microscopy Education   P: (972)924-5310   W:
www.MicroscopyEducation.com

We are now scheduling courses through August 2012... and don't forget
to take part in our most recent surveys.  Check
MicroscopyEducation.com for details.