Subject:Re: Inquiry (no sightings)
From:Larry Sirvio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:00:00 -0500

Jim- I use ebird mostly because I think they are collecting valuable info;
especially for OUS sightings.
I've never had too much trouble posting sightings but I haven't used it to
see what has been seen by others in places where I might go. Maybe most of
the OUS places I go have not been reported. I will spend some time checking
this week.

I can tell you that I've received more than one email from ebird requesting
verification of a sighting. At least one that I remember was my error. The
other 2 or 3 I could verify by checking with another birder who was with me
(North Dakota) or with photos (OUS).

One of my questioners from ebird got more than he bargained for. I had some
unknowns from Mexico so I sent them to him for help. He ID'd them for me so
I was impressed - because the pix were not that good.

The latest version of ebird allows linking a bird observation to either
Picasa or Flickr website pix - really neat.

By the way if you want to do some research on birds OUS, Flickr
(www.flickr.com) has the best quality pix that I've found.

I also put sightings on MOU - usually new county sightings or unusual
sightings - like a meadowlark in early March.

OK - for what it's worth, that's my experience. I know there is more - Ebird
has some phone apps for instant notification. Not familiar with that since I
don't have a smart phone.

Larry S