CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2012

Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:21:52 +0000

Andreas,

 		Always look for the best refractive index match.  Be aware that some 'glycerol' mounting media are NOT pure glycerol but more like 50%.  I have demonstrated experimentally that in this case you can do better with a water immersion lens setting the correction collar as if for a very thick coverslip, than you can with an oil objective.  IF all oil immersion objectives were equipped with correction collars the situation could be different.   Let's be clear that they should be - oil varies hugely in refractive index with temperature.  If you are looking at living samples in aqueous media you should always use a water (coverslip) lens - at least they always have correction collars.

		The corollary is that you do need to learn how to use a correction collar - it's a skill, and not a difficult one, but it does need to be mastered.  Simply setting it to what 'should' be the correct value never works.

                                         Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox.  2nd edition 2012    CRC Press
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon), Honorary Associate,
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net