CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
Shalin Mehta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:44:59 -0400

Hi Michael,
We have demoed sCMOS cameras from Hamamatsu, Andor, and PCO.  I found
that Flash 4 has better sensitivity as compared to Andor or PCO's
cameras. I have been told by Hamamatsu's representative that the
Micro-manager driver is very useable, but it does not handle the top
frame-rate of Flash 4.

We are still undecided and I need to understand a couple of issues
before we make the decision.

For our target application (quantitative imaging and analysis of fast
moving specimens) the rolling shutter-only operation of Flash 4 is an
issue. To investigate the performance of global vs. rolling exposure,
we used Andor's Neo with the same settings in either mode. Here is a
dark-field image of an intact sea urchin sperm beating at about 30
waveforms per second:
http://www.mshalin.com/interesting-data/GlobalvsRollingShutter.png

From the images and intensity profiles we see that rolling shutter
introduces motion artifacts such as skew in the shape of head and
flagellum waveform in vertical direction. But, rolling exposure has
visibly better sensitivity and SNR.

I still don't understand the following completely. All inputs from
community and manufacturers will be appreciated.

a) How does global exposure work in Andor and PCO cameras? What
sources of noise have increased contribution when doing global
exposure?

 b) For any camera in rolling shutter mode, we can achieve global
exposure by strobing the light-source (such as LED or laser) so that
* the specimen is illuminated right after all the pixels have been
rolled active
* the source is turned-off right before the pixels are read out in
rolling fashion

The cameras take about 10 ms 'to roll the full chip'. So if we set the
exposure to desired global exposure + 20ms and strobe as above, it
seems we again have global exposure. Will noise be any better with
this custom arrangement?

Thanks,
Shalin
website: http://mshalin.com