CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:56:44 -0400

Hi Simon,

likely riboflavin and possibly other flavins. See
http://www.evrogen.com/products/medium_DMEM_gfp/medium_DMEM_gfp.shtml
and the Bogdanov et al paper referenced  at the bottom of the page;

    * Bogdanov AM, Bogdanova EA, Chudakov DM, Gorodnicheva TV, Lukyanov
      S, Lukyanov KA. Cell culture medium affects GFP photostability: a
      solution. Nat Methods. 2009; 6 (12):859-60. / pmid: 19935837
      <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=19935837&dopt=Abstract>

Their solution: incubate cells in miedia without (or with low, if
needed) riboflavin for a day.

As a bonus, riboflavin quenches (FRET?) and/or transiently photoconverts
GFP to red fluorescence (might be mostly dark states):

Condensed mitotic chromosome structure at nanometer resolution using
PALM and EGFP- histones. </pubmed/20856676>* Matsuda* A, Shao L,
Boulanger J, Kervrann C, Carlton PM, Kner P, Agard D, *Sedat* JW. PLoS
One. 2010 Sep 15;5(9):e12768. PMID: 20856676

If you contact Essen Biosciences, they will (hopefully) give you a copy
of their application note on the concentrations of riboflavin in many
culture media and correlation with fluorescence of those media. Speaking
of Essen - they finally introduced a dual green+red fluorescence Incucyte.

Enjoy,

George