CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2012

From:
Paul Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:45:13 +0100

Morning Gary,

The big box containing CRISP arrived a couple of hours ago and with
advice from John Wilkinson we have unpacked CRISP400/DCMS-650 to assess
how it fits to our live cell imaging system.

In our initial inspection, using a Zeiss AxioObserver, which is a newer
automated version of the AxioVert 200 for which CRISP is intended, we
found that CRISP cannot be aligned horizontally with the body towards
the front of the microscope and with serial cable pointing towards user,
as the focus knob is in the way.  In fact on an inverted microscope
fitted with incubation enclosure, CRISP can be fitted in one position
only to avoid touching focus knob and incubator enclosure.  Looking at
the microscope from the left hand side, CRISP has to be angled
approximately 25deg up from horizontal, in which case there is probably
just enough clearance between focus knob and enclosure incubator. But if
a focus motor were fitted to the right side of the microscope, the left
knob would be the only one available for the user to twiddle, and CRISP
would seriously impede access.

Assuming that some kind of extender between microscope body and DCMS-650
splitter is not an option, the solution would be to mount CRISP in a
vertical orientation so that the body either projects inside the
incubation chamber (but will then affect access to changing objectives,
and it is generally best to avoid putting equipment inside the
incubation enclosure) or vertically downwards.  Mounting vertically
downwards would entail the microscope being raised by about 95 mm to
accommodate CRISP and cable - in which case users would experience
discomfort.  So my solution would be to make a hole in the microscope
breadboard to accommodate CRISP.

Of course, we may have missed some vital component that corrects for all
this - hence thought I'd contact you before John and Nigel arrive on
Monday for setup.

...paul

Gary Rondeau wrote:

> ASI is always happy to send equipment for a serious demo at no charge.  In some
> instances a dealer representatives may decide to charge for their time and travel.
> However, if the researcher wishes for demo equipment, we can provide it directly
> without charge, and we can provide telephone support during business hours in
> Eugene, OR, USA for installation.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.