CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:09:53 +0000
OK, so let's get into this in (minimal) depth.

The reason an oil, or water, objective has a higher resolution than a water one is that the wavelength of light in oil, or water, is shorter than in air so resolution is automatically better.  However the homogeneous medium has to go all the way to the objective, otherwise the acceptance angle is reduced by the refractive index change - and since both effects depend directly on the refractive index the loss exactly cancels out the gain.  (See Chapter 1 of Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology).

Now if we have an oil immersion objective of (say) NA 1.0, it will still have that NA even imaging into water because the change in refractive index means that the lens can collect a wider angle and that will compensate exactly for the longer wavelength (as Steffen says).  However this cosy relationship breaks down once we reach the critical angle, since rays leaving the sample in a downward direction are obviously never going to reach the objective.  Likewise, in confocal illumination, rays beyond the critical angle will experience total internal reflection and will never reach the sample.  Therefore an oil immersion lens cannot have an NA of more than 1.33 when imaging into water, and every oil immersion lens of NA greater than 1.33 will have an  effective NA of  1.33 when imaging into water.

I don't want to write pages on this, but I think if you just draw it out with a pencil and paper it will be quite clear.  There is neither magic nor deep physics involved!

                                                               Guy