CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
Alison North <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:01:42 -0400

Hi George, Guy and all,

I agree that the manufacturers have generally made it very difficult to
adjust the correction collars on the lenses when using an inverted
microscope.   It cracks me up that the Olympus guys designed their
unbelievably lovely silicone oil objective, which has a collar that
should be adjusted for use at different temperatures, but then placed
the marks to line up in a position which is invisible to the user when
the objectives are mounted on an inverted microscope.  Needless to say,
I have pointed this out to them with some force :-).  Likewise, I have
had to remove the aquastop from my Zeiss 780 confocal system altogether,
because I found it so impossible to reach beneath the motorized stage
AND the aquastop to try to get to the correction collar.  BUT THERE IS
HOPE FOR US ALL!!!   I am greatly enjoying the new 40x water objective
on my Leica confocal system with a MOTORIZED correction collar that is
controllable through the software.  Finally, even the most nervous of my
users can adjust the collar optimally without worrying about tweaking
the wrong thing with their fingers stuck up under the stage.

So now I am making myself a pain in the neck, telling all of the other
vendors how much I love this objective lens - pretty much every time I
see them.  I am hoping that if enough of us do this the other
manufacturers may follow suit with motorized collars.... Please join me
in this endeavour?

All the best,
Alison

--