CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
"Unruh, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:17:36 -0500

Hi all,

Deconvolution for SIM is a very different story than for other techniques.  SIM by default uses an inverse filter in its reconstruction to recombine the shifted components of the fourier transform without enhancing the high frequency noise.  Typical SIM software has a noise parameter for the wiener filter.  If you set this filter low, you start to see a rippling pattern in the noise and eventually in the high signal regions.  As far as I can tell, no one has tried to use more advanced (poisson noise driven) algorithms for this problem.

If one assumes that Autoquant is using some variant of the algorithm shown in Tim Holmes' Handbook of Biological Confocal  chapter, then this algorithm is not immediately applicable to the SIM problem.  The algorithm update function involves dividing the original image by the convolved object guess and then convolving that ratio with the reflected psf and finally multiplying by the object guess.  Given that the raw SIM image is actually a frequency modulated image in a particular direction, it is not clear how the original ratio would be generated.  Richardson-Lucy has a similar problem.  Would you deconvolve before reconstructing?  This is the only circumstance under which the noise could be considered poisson.  In that case, can the original PSF be used?  I'm not entirely certain that the deconvolution would preserve the frequency modulation in the image.  In addition, the original reconstruction algorithm would require a second step of deconvolution during the reconstruction step--not sure how the noise parameter should be chosen after initial deconvolution.

Jay